We are so happy that you’re interested in becoming a Jacobs Ladder Mentor Thornwell! Please review the responsibilities and qualifications prior to submission.
Named after our mutual founder, Dr. William Plumer Jacobs, the Jacobs Ladder Mentor Program believes that creating strong bonds is key to helping a child heal. As a mentor, your faith, love, and friendship empowers them to climb above their obstacles, one rung of the ladder at a time. Mentors will be assigned to a specific cottage at Thornwell and work with other Presbyterian College students in a group to mentor, cultivate relationships, and empower youth as they seek to overcome some of their toughest spots in which all youth can experience both life and love in abundance.
- Group mentors are required to meet with assigned cottage twice per month during the school semester (equals six times for one semester).
- Group mentors agree to work together with their groups to plan, coordinate, and carry out social gathers with assigned cottage.
- Mentors commit to participating in the program for one school semester.
- Build relationships with teens in assigned cottage.
- Participate in mid-semester and end of semester program evaluations.
- Work with Teaching Parents to coordinate dates of planned activities.
- Participate in volunteer training for the program.
- Must be at least 18 years old and enjoy working with youth ages 13-17.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well with others or independently
- Initiative to problem solve, if necessary
- Desire to build relationships and empower teens
- Proficient organization skills
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and execute social gatherings