Director of Annual Giving – Full Time Position, Clinton, SC
Thornwell – Mission Advancement
The Director of Annual Giving is responsible for developing a coordinated matrix of communication and solicitation strategies involving email, direct mail, phone/mail, personal visitation and volunteer engagement; all focused on shaping a sustainable tradition of annual support. The director will supervise the communications department as well as the data management department and reports directly to the Vice President for Mission Advancement.
- The director’s primary responsibility is the strategic execution and management of a comprehensive annual giving program, including the coordination and oversight of multi-channel marketing in the areas of development services and donor relations.
- The director will foster the growth of best practices in the supporting areas of gift processing, data management, prospect information, and donor relations as related to annual giving and how it sets the foundation for successful major and gift planning programs.
- The director measures total dollars, percentage participation, consistency of giving and average gift size and internally regarding clean data, ease of access to data and timely donor recognition and stewardship.
- Works closely with communication staff focusing on effective communication and solicitation activities within specific donor segments identified as having potential for the greatest growth. Formulate a communication program to support annual giving.
- Works effectively with major gifts team to build strategies for moving donors to higher giving levels.
- Monitor point of entry/tour quality and quantity, follow-up calls, and initial wealth research to determine donor segment for new prospects.
- Works with communications to handle logistics of Benevon Luncheons.
- Ensures annual giving donors are stewarded
- Provides occasional point of entry tours on campus and speaks to groups when needed.
- Performs any other job-related duties as assigned by the Vice President for Mission Advancement.
Works in office setting on main campus in Clinton, SC. Uses office equipment including computers. May sit for extended periods of time. Occasionally required to work daytime, evening and weekend hours (with some overnight travel). Occasionally required to use personal car and will be reimbursed at the agency standard rate.
Bachelor’s degree required with at least five years’ experience in non-profit development work. Ability and interest in managing, developing, motivating, and mentoring staff. Possess the highest standard of personal and professional integrity; able to initiate, grow and sustain meaningful professional relationships among the ministry’s constituents to maximize philanthropic support and fulfill agency’s mission. Trustworthy/able to maintain confidences in all matters related to the business and welfare of the agency.
Knowledge of current fundraising best practices including but not limited to the types of gift vehicles as well as the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of agency constituents.
Strong managerial, leadership and supervisory skills necessary.
Excellent skill in constituent database software required, Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge or NXT preferred.
Participate in overall strategic planning and support the achievement of goals for all Thornwell fundraising and communications efforts.
Demonstrated organizational and communication skills as well as ability to work with and motivate other development professionals and volunteers.
Demonstrated analytical and fundraising skills with the ability to recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.
Thornwell is an independent non-profit religious organization affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and prefers to employ individuals who are Christians and who possess a Christian commitment, as well as concern, for children and families in need.
How to Apply
For consideration, please submit the following to email@example.com:
- Cover Letter in which you specifically address why you wish to serve in this role, how your skills and experience have uniquely qualified you for this position, and salary requirements.
Please no faxes, phone calls, or recruiters. Qualified candidates in whom we have further interest will be contacted. Please note our process for hiring qualified candidates will involve the following, as per agency policy and in order to comply with all federal and state laws and licensing requirements:
- Phone and in-person interview, drug testing, background checks, academic degree and licensing verification, and reference checking.
Position open until filled.
Job Type: Full-time