Job Title: Marketing and Communications Director
Reports To: Vice President for Mission Advancement
Supervises: Marketing and Communications Coordinator Communication Intern
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-time
Authorized Driver: Yes
Prepared Date: January 18, 2019
The Marketing and Communications Director is an exempt, full-time position reporting to the Vice President of Mission Advancement. The Marketing and Communications Director directs the efforts of the marketing and communications staff and is responsible for planning, development, and implementation of all of Thornwell’s marketing and communications strategies, and public relations and advocacy initiatives, both external and internal. Ties all marketing, communications and public relations activity back to organizational goals. Keeps the big picture in focus. Serves as the key point of contact for all major internal and external relationships. Oversees major marketing and awareness campaigns. Serve as a brand steward, upholding Thornwell’s brand guidelines to ensure brand consistency across all touchpoints of the organization.
Marketing and Communications
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the performance of the marketing and communications plan that includes marketing literature, email, social media, and an editorial and production calendar.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate awareness and fundraising campaigns related to programs, special events, and donor cultivation.
- Responsible for the achievement of the goals and objectives of the Marketing and Communications Plan. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to stated goals and objectives and report progress to the Vice President for Mission Advancement, CEO and Board.
- Works closely with program staff to design and implement marketing and communications strategies and effective messaging to achieve organizational and project-specific goals.
- Assists our leadership and program staff in ensuring all communications are culturally competent and reach diverse audiences.
- Manages organizational partnerships that support organizational marketing and fundraising goals.
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to monitor and test the effectiveness of communications activities.
- Mentor and lead the Marketing and Communications Coordinator to ensure the unity of the team as well as projects and deadlines are being met in the established time frame.
- Manage advancement and program staff in photographing of on-campus and off-campus activities and events. Lead in video production and project management of the team.
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly. Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time.
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic marketing and communications content that accurately portrays Thornwell’s ministry to a variety of audiences to include individuals, churches, church groups, businesses, referral sources, and the public.
- Coordinate and organize annual meetings that engage the network’s discreet audiences.
- Manage and present a monthly report of KPI (Key Performance Indicators) on marketing and communication efforts.
- Perform any other job-related duties as assigned by the Vice President for Mission Advancement.
- Ensure that brand identity, messaging and marketing and communications strategy are infused in all organizational efforts (programming, development, network support).
- Serve as a brand steward, upholding Thornwell’s brand guidelines to ensure brand consistency across all touchpoints of the organization
Content Strategy and Management
- Lead the development of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate in coordination with the Vice President for Mission Advancement and the Advancement Officers for each state.
- Oversee the development, design, distribution, and maintenance of high-quality print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to the annual report, brochures, presentations, newsletters, and reports.
- Lead the strategy and generation of engaging digital content for Thornwell’s website, social media, and email and direct mail fundraising and awareness campaigns that lead to measurable action.
Public Relations and Mission Advocacy
- Develop and manage all media relationships.
- Lead in Public Relations and mission advocacy efforts.
- Identify trends, monitor current events and influencers to identify opportunities for Thornwell in which to engage.
- Guide the strategy on media outreach, including messaging in press releases, the creation of press kits and materials, interview preparation, and responses to media inquiries and needs.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- Five to ten years of professional experience, including leading the marketing and communications, marketing, social media, and public relations activities as well as 3-5 years of experience working in the non-profit sector.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the successful development and execution of marketing, awareness and fundraising campaigns, as well as communications and public relations activities.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of online and print collateral and publications.
- Proven track record in developing a broad spectrum of proactive media relations campaigns and demonstrated an ability to communicate effectively to diverse audiences.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Excellent written, verbal, oral and interpersonal skills, with experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team.
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to manage multiple concurrent projects while also being highly detail-oriented with an attention to quality.
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and desire to “manage by influence”. Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups and serve as a unifying force with the Vice President of Mission Advancement, Advancement Officers for each state, other staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
- Demonstrated experience in graphic design including proficiency in Outlook, Microsoft Windows, Adobe Creative Suite software such as Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop (preferred but not required) and others.
- Self-starter, organized, and a team player. Must have the ability and enjoys taking the initiative, plan, prioritize and execute the completion of projects in a fast-paced environment. An implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Clear, concise and compelling writing style required with good verbal communication/presentation and interpersonal skills; close attention to detail; strong strategic, analytic and organizational skills. Ability to position communication discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully creating direct mail and email campaigns, printing press supervision, and mail-house management.
- Demonstrates strong work ethic and moral standards.
- Must have a strong commitment to serving children and families with a non-profit Christian ministry.
Works in an office setting with occasional travel. Uses office equipment including computers. May sit for extended periods of time. Required to work daytime, and occasional evening and weekend hours (with some overnight travel). Required to use a personal car and will be reimbursed at the agency standard rate.
Thornwell is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit religious organization affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and prefers to employ individuals who are Christians and who possess a Christian commitment, as well as concern, for children and families in need.
For consideration, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover Letter in which you specifically address why you wish to serve in this role, how your skills and experience have uniquely qualified you for this position, and salary requirements.
Please no faxes, phone calls, or recruiters. Qualified candidates in whom we have a further interest will be contacted. Please note our process for hiring qualified candidates will involve the following, as per agency policy and in order to comply with all federal and state laws and licensing requirements:
- Phone and in-person interview, drug testing, background checks, academic degree, and licensing verification, and reference checking.
Position open until filled.
Job Type: Full-time