Volunteer Coordinator – Full Time Position, Clinton, SC
Thornwell – Mission Advancement
The Volunteer Coordinator will assure that volunteers are identified, processed, trained, recognized and evaluated and will continue to engage the volunteer as a supporter of the mission. This person will oversee all volunteer projects and volunteer groups (on/off campus). This position is also responsible for all gift-in-kind donations (on/off campus) and will also maintain the on-campus donation room.
- Survey on/off campus staff regularly to assess needs and to plan volunteer projects. The project list will need to remain current and it is the job of the Coordinator to prioritize the projects.
- Maintain an inventory of necessary work equipment, cleaning supplies, craft materials, or cooking supplies to make available for volunteer groups on and off campus.
- Communicate with staff when a group is expected to arrive on campus and keep master calendar updated with the dates volunteers will be on campus or involved in community-based program volunteering.
- For groups staying on-campus, ensure an inventory of needed supplies is on hand in Safay Cottage including, but not limited to, paper products, cleaning supplies, and water bottles. Communicate with groups about the lodging check in/check out procedures and campus rules.
- Lead and be on-site with volunteers on campus on a daily basis to provide direction, and be available or “on-call” for emergencies or special requests from volunteers. If group is staying overnight, collect lodging fee and remit to finance department.
- Oversee and coordinate volunteers with the office of Student Volunteer Services (SVS) at Presbyterian College.
- Manage and maintain the on-campus clothing/food room assuring room is clean and tidy. Keep reception area and loading dock free of clutter, rotate clothing based on season. Organize shelves (food, clothing, games/toys, school supplies, etc.). Volunteer groups and interns may assist with this task.
- Pick-up donations when they cannot be delivered to campus as needed.
- Update and manage GIK current needs list so that the communications department can update online and on flyers. Donate or dispose of items we cannot use.
- Oversee and coordinate Food GIK registration and pick-up schedule.
- Work with Advancement staff to coordinate all off-site fundraisers or volunteers events.
- Provide direction/supervision to summer interns.
- Recruit volunteers and volunteer groups to serve, schedule dates with service groups, and coordinate work projects (on/off campus)
- Collect applications, the necessary waivers and personal information from each volunteer/group. Provide volunteers with the appropriate orientation packets and information needed for on/off campus volunteering.
- For on-campus volunteers, conduct general orientation with the group, and organize a mission tour with Advancement Staff. For off-campus volunteer projects, coordinate with Advancement and community-based staff.
- Provide follow up and regular updates to volunteers – including thank you notes to let them know that their service is valued.
- Record Keeping
- Record all volunteer activity into the Advancement Database. Report number of participants and hours worked for each volunteer and/or group to the Advancement Department.
- Collect donation receipts, keep track, document, and accept all gift-in-kind donations on-campus. Collect donation receipts, track and document all gift-in-kind donations off-campus. All GIK gifts must be entered into the Advancement database.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor.
The Volunteer Coordinator will be required to use a computer and should have proficiency in the following applications: Word Processing. The Volunteer Coordinator will be required to work a 40-hour work week. Physical activity associated with the job will include providing materials such as shovels, rakes, and wheelbarrows to work sites, walking while giving tours, and participating with volunteers groups during their work projects.
The Volunteer Coordinator should have a commitment to the mission of Thornwell and a heart for service. The applicant must be available to work nights and weekends as needed. The applicant must also have a valid state driver’s license.
The Volunteer Coordinator must possess:
– Strong organizational and time management skills
– Ability to handle multiple priorities in an effective manner
– Excellent communication and people skills
– Computer literacy
– Accuracy and attention to detail
How to Apply
For consideration, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover Letter in which you specifically address why you wish to serve in this role, how your skills and experience have uniquely qualified you for this position, and salary requirements.
Please no faxes, phone calls, or recruiters. Qualified candidates in whom we have further interest will be contacted. Please note our process for hiring qualified candidates will involve the following, as per agency policy and in order to comply with all federal and state laws and licensing requirements:
- Phone and in-person interview, drug testing, background checks, academic degree and licensing verification, and reference checking.
Position open until filled.
Job Type: Full-time